Tuesday, December 30, 2008

2008: My Year In The Review Mirror


I saw that John posted this on his blog so I'm borrowing the concept from him as a look back on 2008. I'm trying to see the positive in this year where there was much weeping and gnashing of teeth. While it was stormy days, I weathered the storm with a lotta help from good people God sent my way. Here's my answers to what John entitled "Farewell and Welcome."

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before? Relearning to walk, although technically I learned to walk when I was a toddler, but my year was phenomenally boring. So getting adjusted to being disabled and intense physical therapy was my highlight.

2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I didn't do a new year resolution, other than starting the year sick, and completing it still not up to snuff. My resolution for 2009 is get my groove and Mojo back.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? My friend Elsa had her little boy Benji late spring.

4. Did anyone close to you die? My grandfather passed away last weekend, although we weren't particularly close.

5. What countries did you visit? While the city of Philadelphia often considers itself the state of Pennsylvania, I doubt it could pass a country, LOL. Ian did not leave the US in '08 although I was supposed to visit Ghana and Toronto. Maybe next year.

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008? More financial stability, more health improvement, more spiritual growth, and more blessings from above.

7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? "Ladies and gentlemen, MSNBC can now safely project that Barack Obama will be the 44th President of the United States." -Keith Olbermann 11/4/08.
Oh my God! I cried. I wept tears of joy. I'm cryin' even as I type it all over again....Plan on doing it all over again in 19 days.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Getting off my lazy arse to get to church, taking better care of my spiritual health, as well as my physical health. Being a good listener and friend to those who needed a shoulder.

9. What was your biggest failure? My relationship and subsequent break up with Napoleon. It wasn't a failure per se, more like a personal triumph! The day I threw his bags in the street and said goodbye mas final, oh my spirit rejoiced, indeed!

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Yes, Lord, was I ever sick. I almost died, literally. I'm still convalescing for the foreseeable future.

11. What was the best thing you bought? Nothing particular comes to mind. A shirt I'd been saving up for from Old Navy is the only thing I can recall at the moment.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Hester for fighting the good fight in the face of adversity and dealing with her no account soon-to-be-ex husband.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Napoleon's. Just realizing he wasn't the person I thought he was. The fact that I was ready to marry, yes I said marry, this man and have him my life forever without hesitation. Yeah our relationship was shaky, but I thought he was improving, making changes, instead he was a liar and a cheat. And I fell for it hook line and sinker. But the Devil is a liar. He can't claim my spirit! I'm free and nevermore happier!!!

14. Where did most of your money go? Gas, bills, and groceries. And I'm ashamed to say cigarettes...still, dammit.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? The Presidential Election. I was addicted to MSNBC and CNN to a fault. I couldn't get enough of it.

16. What song will always remind you of 2008? Nothing Left To Say -Mint Condition

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
- i. happier or sadder? . Pr'ally a little sadder. I'm single again. I've been feeling lonely and out of the social loop. Financially, things have been tight. A few friendship fell apart. But I'm coming into my own because God is walking with me.

- ii. thinner or fatter? My weight constantly fluctuates. Depressingly, I put on a couple el-bee-esses during this holiday season, even with physical therapy. I got a little lazy this month!

- iii. richer or poorer? Depends on your point of view. Materialistic wise, I'm poorer. Spiritual wise, my bounty overfloweth...

18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Walking. I miss not being able to walk without use of crutches, a cane, or a wheelchair. I also wish I had been able to travel. With all these places I wanna see, I ain't got time to let grass grow underneath these feet o' mine.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Self-depreciate and doubt.

20. Did you fall in love in 2008? I fell in like with Arturo, Myjah, "Handyman" and in lust with my physical therapist, Gemini. But love? No. Napoleon did his best to break my heart when I threw his ass out.

21. How many one-night stands? Believe it or not, I was good (mostly) I slept with a few fellas P.N. (Post Napoleon). No booty calls since August, although a certain thick Puerto Rican bruh has stepped back into the picture, and I am sans date for New Year's Eve...ya never know.

22. What was your favorite TV program? All are tied: Ugly Betty, Big Bang Theory, Battlestar Galactica, True Blood, and Swingtown

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? I've removed hate from my vocabulary with regards to people. More apropos would be "who do I forgive that I didn't from last year this time?" Yes, there are several people who I pray for, Naps being on the top of that list.

24. What was the best book you read? I'm not all sure what I read this year, I read too much. Probably Too Good To Be True by E. Lynn Harris. The worst, by far, was Eric Jerome Dickey's Pleasure. Awful piece of erotic literature. If I never read the words Kikki Sunshine again, it'll be too soon!

25. What was your greatest musical discovery? Jasmine Sullivan

26. What did you want and get? To keep my leg.

27. What did you want and not get? A new computer. Mine is slowly degenerating into a glorified calculator.

28. What were your favorite films of this year? Iron Man, Sex And The City, Hancock, White Christmas.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? Lord, I guess I never really blogged about my experience this year, did I? For those of you who don't know, I'm 38. I spent my birthday in the hospital because I almost died from a serious infection which also almost cost me my leg (from a previous injury last year). I don't wanna go into the whole story, but for you all wondering why I'm in therapy, that's the gist. I had extensive surgery done to save my leg from amputation, but I'm still learning to regain my mobility and such.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Recognizing sooner God has my back. Trusting in Him more, less in myself. That and a good man by my side.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008? Gustavo's Alejandro's tres manifique! Don't ask, LOL

32. What kept you sane? God, church, family, friends, and music. In that order. I'm indebted to my real time and cyber friends alike. Thank you Toddy, Greg, Aaron, Real, Cocoa, Darius, et al bloggers...thank you Leoban, E.J. RaShawn, Adam, Rex, Miss T. Leeser, Queenie, Tamodi, et al for your special gifts and blessings.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Y'all knows I loved me some Barack this year. Big Brother B! He's my role model. Now I have to give it up to my boys over at CNN...Roland, T.J. Don, and Anderson. And my yellaboy hotties Boris and Sunjata....

34. What political issue stirred you the most?The Presidential Campaign,

35. Whom did you miss? This Holiday season I felt and feel my father's presence around me, for the first time in 12 years. It's odd, but I've been missing him. His laughter, that dry sarcastic humor.

36. Who was the best new person(s) you met? It's a toss up between "Maxwell" and "Gemini." Maxwell is a friend for life I sense and I'm grateful for his assistance during my recuperative efforts. Gemini, while he tends to be braggart and Mr. Invincible, is also very kind. I'm still tryin to figure him out, which is to say, I'm still tryin' understand straight men. Cyberwise, I'm grateful to the Fry Guy for his "sultry words" and honest candor. Plus good ole Corey for sending encouragement just when I needed it. Now I can't be listing off too many bloggers cause I really don't wanna forget nobody. Our little family has been most edifying to this bwoy.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008: Trust yourself, trust your spirit, never surrender your hopes, dreams, and pride on someone who's so not deserving of it. Trust God always to steer you to safer shores when the seas are rocky.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:.."I am here. You don't have to worry I can see your tears. I'll be there in a hurry when you call. When you call, friends will be there to catch you when fall! Here's my shoulder, you can lean on me..."
"Lean On Me" - Kirk Franklin & The Family, Bono, R. Kelly Mary J. Blige, and Crystal Lewis.

1 comment:

Prince Todd said...

Oh my goodness Ian...::Hugs:: Now I shan't complain about the year I've had anymore. Some of my issues were small potatoes! And that no good Napoleon didn't help matters. I'm glad you kicked him to the curb!
Anyway, we are all going to be divine in 09...
Cheers!
Oh my goodness I'm so going to borrow this template.

Disclaimer

While this blog is not really intended to show adult content, I can't guarantee that an occasional image of male nudity won't appear. Be advised that this blog is intended to be read by people with an open mind. I don't claim any rights to the images nor do I have any knowledge of the sexuality of persons featured (unless they are openly gay...duh). Enjoy yourself and take a small step in my every day life and pondering... Feel free to email any comments or opinions.

President Barack Obama!