Sunday, October 7, 2007

A Week's Difference...Goodbye Phils




It's so sad here this morning. I got up this morning, hoping against hope, but knowing the truth. The Phillies got swept by the Rockies. Dammit. Last week this time folks were happy and thought there might be a chance. Now this week, the Phils have the long flight back home to Philadelphia.

Well, I wasn't sure how far they could go, baseball is a fickle sport, you never know what might happen. Time to move on and switch gears and support my American League team, the Boston Red Sox. I don't care who wins the National League title between the D-backs and Rockies, either team deserves to get to the big show.

So what does this defeat mean for the club overall? I'm not sure. Pat Gillick, the Phillies General Manager, announced he's leaving after his contract, Charlie Manuel's job could be on the line, yadda yadda, yadda. It's the same thing every year. Pitching is always problem, but it seems there's a functional block over the team. Like every other Phillies fan, I'm tired of "we'll get 'em next year"mentality. The pain, the suffering, the agony waiting year after year, is enough to test the loyalty of the most patience fans. How did Boston fans deal with it decade after decade until the BoSox won a few years back? Now that the Cubs are also evicted from the post season, how do Chicago fans deal with it? Ugh!

Still, depending on who makes the Series, hopefully it'll be good. So the contenders will be Diamondbacks/Rockies vs. Red Sox/Indians/Yankees? My picks personally? The Rockies and the Sox. Even though Colorado swept the Phils in three games, I'd chose them for the NL Champs. They obviously were the better team, but let's not take focus off Arizona. The Diamondbacks have hotter than hot (figuratively speaking) pitcher Brandon Webb, so they could come in like a desert storm to get to the World Series.

I don't much about the Cleveland Indians, so I can't predict how they'll fare against their challengers for the American League Champion title. I can only hope Boston wants it hard enough to defeat the Tribe. We'll see folks...

No comments:

Disclaimer

While this blog is not really intended to show adult content, I can't guarantee that an occasional image of male nudity won't appear. Be advised that this blog is intended to be read by people with an open mind. I don't claim any rights to the images nor do I have any knowledge of the sexuality of persons featured (unless they are openly gay...duh). Enjoy yourself and take a small step in my every day life and pondering... Feel free to email any comments or opinions.

President Barack Obama!