Thursday, February 15, 2007

Is there any wonder why we stay hidden?


It amazes me how far we still have to go before we can ever be accepted. So another man, former NBA player John Amaechi, takes the courageous step out of the closest and former NBA Miami Heat player Tim Hardaway tries to slam the door shut. I had known Amaechi was going to come out because its been posted all over the Internet. I was amazed and a little encouraged to see another famous black man was taking a chance on the public and revealing himself to the world. Then this morning I got up, logged on to the computer, and read this asinine comments by Tim Hardaway.....

"You know, I hate gay people, so I let it be known. I don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people,'' he said while a guest on Sports Talk 790 The Ticket. ``I'm homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the United States. First of all, I wouldn't want him on my team. And second of all, if he was on my team, I would, you know, really distance myself from him because, uh, I don't think that is right. I don't think he should be in the locker room while we are in the locker room." The article when on to say some other things I quite lost interest in. I thought to myself, what an asshole Tim Hardaway is. Later this afternoon I saw he retracted his statements...

Hardaway later apologized for the remarks during a telephone interview with Fox affiliate WSVN in Miami. "Yes, I regret it. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said I hate gay people or anything like that," he said. "That was my mistake." I call it a little to late, opened your mouth, and insert foot asshole. I took delight in the fact the NBA removed dumbass from further league-related appearances. To quote the NBA commissioner David Stern,"It is inappropriate for him to be representing us given the disparity between his views and ours."

It pissed me off because for a black man to say such statements is foolish, whether he believes what he says or not. Tim broke the rule I had always been taught as a person of color...no matter how much you might disagree with something another black person, no matter how much it bothers you, never, never ever, vocalize that in front of a white person. Basically, it means always support your community, at least on the surface. African Americans have suffered so much and sure things are a little different, but not by much. The whole gay issue amongst the African American community has become an outrageous hot topic. Gays have always been a part of our community, albeit not as visible as our white brethren, but there.

I could go on and on using examples of the gay hairdresser, the organist from church that never married, the spinster school teacher, the masculine girls gym coach, etc, etc...we've always been there. It seems lately though, and I blame it on the Religious Right, it has become a sore subject and is tearing the community apart.

I feel that we have to stick together and support one another. Do we want to be herded back to the plantations again??? United we stand, divided we fall, dammit! Yes you may disagree with who I'm laying in bed with at night, but then I might disagree with who you're shacking up with too. Together, regardless of sexual orientation, we still share a common bond, a common ancestry. Regardless how you feel about gays and lesbians, never for get that the masses will always see our skin color first. Sure they'll sort us out later, but first and foremost they'll see us as black men and women...as African Americans. Wake the fuck up Tim Hardaway!

Now, speaking from the gay man inside of me, is there any wonder why gays stay in the closet? It takes a tremendous amount of courage to step out and let the world know who you are. When you get comments from ignorant asses like Tim Hardaway, it will only serve other to be a little more fearful. We all need to be true to ourselves and self-acceptance is so hard when you're gay. I still struggle with my own acceptance, but I try to live each day just being a wonderful person. I could go on, but I rather not. Somewhere, there is a young person, interested in basketball, possibly playing for their high school or college team, struggling with their sexuality and trying to reconcile their worlds with one another. I hope they took some courage from John Amaechi's example and will persevere. Not everyone is a Tim Hardaway, but I fear unfortunately his voice in the African American community is beginning to be the majority...

No comments:

Disclaimer

While this blog is not really intended to show adult content, I can't guarantee that an occasional image of male nudity won't appear. Be advised that this blog is intended to be read by people with an open mind. I don't claim any rights to the images nor do I have any knowledge of the sexuality of persons featured (unless they are openly gay...duh). Enjoy yourself and take a small step in my every day life and pondering... Feel free to email any comments or opinions.

President Barack Obama!