Friday, June 29, 2007

Poor Isaiah


OK, so a few weeks ago I posted on Isaiah Washington’s dismissal from the cast of Grey’s Anatomy. At the time, I stood perplexed on the issue on whether it was right or wrong that he was fired.

This morning I happened upon a snippet from Yahoo News on Isaiah now decrying the whole incident was racially inspired. He is citing racism was the reason he was fired. OK, Isaiah, up until this point I struggled with my feeling on this issue until I read your statement. There is no sense of contrition in any of your behavior. Let’s call a spade a spade. If you hadn’t made the mistake in the first place, you wouldn’t be in this situation now. Not only did you use the derogatory remark on set, but said it again at the Golden Globes. Now, mind you, I understand damage control and you’re denial is the typical spinning that goes on. But you actually used the word “faggot” in your statement.

“I never called TR a faggot!” Come on Isaiah. Wake up. You could have denied calling him the “f-word” without repeating it again. Are you that dunderheaded? Now you want to cry out racism? I understand as black men we often get a raw deal in this country, but you said the remarks twice. Once would’ve been forgiven. Twice makes you seem insensitive. What’s the old expression? “Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!” You get what I’m saying.

I don’t entirely disagree that you probably got a raw deal, but you show no remorse in your behavior and want to point blame here, there, everywhere, but yourself. I’m sorry, I’ve reached my limit of sympathy for you…..

Read the Yahoo News article below:

Ex-'Grey's' star cites racism for firing Thu Jun 28, 11:01 PM ET

"Grey's Anatomy" star Isaiah Washington said racism was a factor in his firing from the hit ABC series after he twice used an anti-gay slur.

Washington, who initially used the epithet during an onset clash with a co-star, told Newsweek magazine that "someone heard the booming voice of a black man and got really scared and that was the beginning of the end for me."

He tried to make amends by expressing remorse and volunteering to enter a counseling program to understand how the confrontation got out of hand, he told Newsweek.

"My mistake was believing that I would get the support from my network and all of my cast mates across the board. My mistake was believing I could correct a wrong with honesty and sincerity," he said in the interview posted online Thursday.

"My mistake was thinking black people get second chances. I was wrong on all fronts," he said.

His unwillingness to act like a submissive black at work was part of the problem, Washington said.

"Well, it didn't help me on the set that I was a black man who wasn't a mush-mouth Negro walking around with his head in his hands all the time. I didn't speak like I'd just left the plantation and that can be a problem for people sometime," he said.

"I had a person in human resources tell me after this thing played out that `some people' were afraid of me around the studio. I asked her why, because I'm a 6-foot-1, black man with dark skin and who doesn't go around saying `Yessah, massa sir' and `No sir, massa' to everyone?

"It's nuts when your presence alone can just scare people, and that made me a prime candidate to take the heat in a dysfunctional family," he said.

ABC declined comment Thursday. In its one public statement regarding Washington, issued in January, the network said his actions were "unacceptable."

Washington, who used the slur against co-star T.R. Knight during a confrontation with Patrick Dempsey, repeated the word backstage at the Golden Globes in January in denying the first incident. A public apology to Knight and others followed.

No comments:

Disclaimer

While this blog is not really intended to show adult content, I can't guarantee that an occasional image of male nudity won't appear. Be advised that this blog is intended to be read by people with an open mind. I don't claim any rights to the images nor do I have any knowledge of the sexuality of persons featured (unless they are openly gay...duh). Enjoy yourself and take a small step in my every day life and pondering... Feel free to email any comments or opinions.

President Barack Obama!