Thursday, September 15, 2011

Quick Thoughts...


I overslept this morning so I'm in a bit of a rush, but here we go....

Last night on the way home from work I was listening to John King on Sirius CNN. They were talking about the Republican presidential candidates and their feelings regarding immigration, illegal immigrants, and what needs to be done about the situation. The whole while they were discussing the issue, I sat and thought, OK this is only about Mexico, not Canada. But why?

No disrespect towards our brothers to the north, last I recalled no one ever suggested building 16 feet high barbed-wire fences stretching the length of the Northern Frontier Border? Why are we so hung up about Illegal Mexicans, like they're the dirt of the Western Hemisphere? IDK. I wish I had time to expound on my question. I know part of the problem is people feel illegals come and steal jobs from Americans, but let's be honest a moment! Most Illegals Immigrants take jobs that SOME feel are beneath them anyway. The other issue people feel illegals are leeching of the system.... blah, blah, blah.

I just don't understand.

2 comments:

Roger Poladopoulos said...

Perhaps the reason is based on the stereotypical perception of an individuals skin color. Most Americans think of Mexicans as having darker skin tone and Canadians as having lighter skin pigmentation. As a first generation Greek-American, we all know which side of the color spectrum I fall on.

Or, the problem may be linguistic: the idea that Canadians speak fluent English and that Mexicans speak Spanish. Americans, in general, seem to prefer to deal with persons they deem most like themselves; that is, English-speakers.

Or, it could be a combination of both of the above as well as a few other reasons.

Ian said...

You bring up some interesting points Roger. I think to, America still carries the old world resentments from our European forefathers...the British didn't like the Spanish who didn't like the French who didn't like someone else.... Craziness.

It baffles me because underneath it all, no matter the color or the language, we're all human, no? I speak both French and Spanish, albeit not that great but still. I guess I don't have the mindset to discriminate.

Disclaimer

While this blog is not really intended to show adult content, I can't guarantee that an occasional image of male nudity won't appear. Be advised that this blog is intended to be read by people with an open mind. I don't claim any rights to the images nor do I have any knowledge of the sexuality of persons featured (unless they are openly gay...duh). Enjoy yourself and take a small step in my every day life and pondering... Feel free to email any comments or opinions.

President Barack Obama!